Well! What is the most important factor we have to consider while developing the Mobile App? – Yes, it’s none other than the User Experience (UX) of your app. Let’s have a look at strategies you can apply to offer great UX design for your Mobile App.
The feeling that users get by exploring and communicating with your App decides the success rate of your design. So, it is very important to understand your target audience before start designing with the help of surveys or market research. Nowadays, millions of mobile apps are present in the app store, but among them, only those are successful which get the maximum downloads by users which mainly depend upon your impressive and manageable UX design.
“Design has taken the place of what sailing used to be”- Dennis Conner
Now, let’s have a look at some of the strategies that really work when applied while developing your mobile app-
1- Give importance to UI: Undoubtedly, UI is the most important factor that you have to consider while building your App. You can make your mobile app more delightful and purposeful by having a perfect balance of appealing looks and interactivity.
Here’re few well-advised practices for designing an awesome Interface:
- Keep the interface simple: Simple and un-crowded screens are easy to understand and hence easy to use, further empower users to navigate effortlessly and adapt to your designs
- Strive for Consistency: Creating patterns in language, fonts, icons, layout and design throughout the app helps users feel like being in control of the environment they’re operating and thus feel comfortable.
- One primary goal per screen: Every screen we design should have one primary goal as screens having multiple primary goals makes user confused (May have multiple secondary goals).
- Design for average users, not ideal users: Maximum number of users on any app falls in the category of average users. So, designing UI keeping in mind how an average user would interact with it, gives power to your designs.
2- Having right choice of color: The proper selection of colors while developing your mobile app leaves a great impact on users. Colors signify a lot, so you have to be very precise and attentive while choosing color for your app.
- Try soothing combinations, neither too bright nor too light so as to make your app look appealing.
- Contrast rule should be kept in mind while choosing colors i.e. dark text on light backgrounds and light text on dark backgrounds.
- Bright primary colors works best for call-to-action, that’s the reason colors like orange, green, red, yellow have higher conversion rates for CTA’s as compared to darker colors like purple, brown, black and dark gray.
“Pictures, abstract symbols, materials, and colors are among the ingredients with which a designer or engineer works. To design is to discover relationships and to make arrangements and rearrangements among these ingredients.”- Paul Rand
3- Offer great mobile On-boarding Experience:
There is an old saying-“First impression is the last impression”- this is what your mobile app can get by the users through on-boarding experience. Here, on-boarding refers to how clearly and efficiently users can interact with your mobile app without any ambiguity in mind. So, you have to satisfy users on the first move by performing few specific tasks within your app by following the strategy of on-boarding. This help make your app interactive and delightful.
(For more on-boarding flows and experiences, check out Inspire by CanvasFlip)
4- Move toward personalization: The process of App personalization becomes very popular nowadays, as it increases the conversion rate and improves the customer satisfaction to great extent. Here, the past visits of users are recorded so as to provide them with suggestions and offers based on their recorded data which may include their location, gender and previous purchases if using any e–commerce app.
Quora is one of the best examples I can think of. It asks users to follow 10 topics at the time of signup to personalize the feeds they are interested in.
5- Gesturization: In order to speed up the user interaction with your mobile app, the process of gesturization has come into place. Addition of new and alluring gestures including pinching, swiping, scrolling and dragging steal the heart of maximum users by making them feel comfortable. This is the most striking factor in which you have to focus while designing your mobile app. These gestures facilitate different actions which enable users to interact smoothly and users may find them interesting.
Now as you know where to begin, just plan your UX design keeping in mind above strategies and analyzing the user behavior to make your app successful. The combination of above-discussed strategies will help you produce the best possible design for your users and also the use of tools increases your creativity. Hope, you find this information useful!
“Design is not just what it looks like or feels like, Design is how it works.”- Steve Job